Sunday, May 26, 2013

Vegan Fiesta!

Finally, I am back to cooking. I have been pretty busy with work and life in general but this weekend I was determined to cook myself something nice. I was feeling in a Mexican mood, maybe it was because of the long weekend and warm weather, so I swung by Trader Joe's to see my options. Now in the past I have made tacos with black beans & chickpeas as my "meat" and have even used veggie "meat" crumbles but I found a recipe on Pinterest that use tofu so I wanted to give it a try.  But first with any Taco dish, I had to have some guacamole. I whipped up a batch from a recipe that my mom always uses and it was simple and delicious. Seriously, this recipe never fails.



Mom's No Fuss Guacamole

Ingredients
-3 Haas avocados, halved, seeded, and peeled
-1 lime
-1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
-1/2 ground cumin
-1/2 teaspoon cayenne
-1/2 medium onion, diced
-2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
-1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
-1 clove garlic, minced

Instructions:

1. In a large bowl place the scooped avocado pulp and lime juice, toss to coat. Drain, and reserve the lime juice, after all of the avocados have been coated. Using a potato masher add the salt, cumin, and cayenne and mash. Then, fold I'm the onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and garlic. Add 1 tablespoon of the reserved lime juice. 

I like my guacamole spicy so I also add a little bit of Mrs. Renfro's Jalapeño Green Salsa and mix to taste.


Once the guacamole was all set I placed the pits back in the dip so it would stay nice and green and put it in the fridge to keep cool. I then started slicing sticks of tofu to pan fry up as my "meat". I heated a little oil in a skillet, then placed in the tofu and seasoned with a little taco seasoning and let them fry up until crispy. While the tofu was cooking I also sautéed up some roasted corn, black beans, onions, tomato, and jalapeño in another skillet to have as my side dish. Once the tofu was crisp, I place them on a paper towel to drain and fried up 2 Corn & Wheat Trader Joe's tortillas, if you haven't tried them I highly recommend-soft with a tiny hint of sweet. After the tortillas were done it was time to eat. I filled the tacos with some chopped red cabbage, tofu, and topped with guacamole.



This meal was really simple to make and even better, it was very filling. I only ate this plate and was done for the night. If you interested in trying an alternative to the traditional meat tacos I would give this recipe a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment