Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A New Take on Spaghetti

This morning before I left for work I glanced in my fridge and discovered I had some lingering produce from my trip to a local produce stand. Before I left I took note of the items: 2 zucchini, 1 large tomato, 1 large avocado, 1 lemon, 1 red onion. So on my lunch break I did some research on Pinterest and came across the perfect recipe: Zucchini pasta with creamy basil sauce. I decided to spice things up by adding avocado for extra creaminess. The result was great! A light healthy dish that was fast and easy and best of all ...NO HEAT!

Recipe- I opted out of using nutritional yeast.

Zucchini Pasta with Creamy Basil Sauce


FOR THE PASTA
2 medium zuchinni
1 cup cherry, grape or baby heirloom tomatoes halved
1 avocado
FOR THE SAUCE
½ cup basil
2 cloves garlic sliced
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, optional*
¼ cup water
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1. Using a julienne or vegetable peeler, peel the zucchini into “noodles” and set aside.
2. In a Vitamix or high-speed blender combine basil and lemon juice until basil is thoroughly ground.
3. Add the avocado, garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, water, and sea salt and blend until smooth and creamy.
4. Toss the zucchini noodles with the sauce until thoroughly coated.
5. Top with sliced cherry tomatoes and a few basil leaves and serve immediately.




No comments:

Post a Comment