Monday, August 27, 2012

Mother Knows Best

Back when I first started cooking (as if it has really been that long), my mom told me that the best weeknight recipes were her "rice recipes." These were meals that were ready to eat by the time the rice finished cooking, equating to about 20 minutes. Well ladies and gents, after 3 years I have finally found my own "rice recipe." My Tex Mex Rice was not only quick but also incredibly cheap and easy.

Here's the rundown:

1) Prepare 2 cups of rice using chicken broth instead of water. 


2) Sauté half an onion with garlic.


3) Add 1 can of diced tomates, 1 can of drained corn (whole kernels), and 1 can of drained black beans. Mix thoroughly then add 1 packet of taco seasoning.

I'm considering adding either diced chicken or ground beef to this step next time.


4) Serve the mixture over the rice with sour cream and a generous helping of Mexican blend shredded cheese.

I added my favorite salsa, Mrs. Renfro's, but topping with cilantro is another great idea. 


5) Stir well and enjoy! :)

The result was a tasty, filling meal with TONS of leftovers (I'm still adjusting to cooking for one). Next time I'm considering to either:
  • As I said earlier, adding meat to the tomato-corn-bean mixture 
  • Buying a rotisserie chicken to go with it
  • Crunching up tortilla chips and adding lettuce to make it a taco salad of sorts

No comments:

Post a Comment